Friday, August 12, 2011

Welcome to England

Well, got super sick the night before I left Kenya. I got a horrible migraine, throwing up, you know the drill. Went through security and everything in a daze but started feeling so much better on the plane. Leigh and I got great seats behind the partition between economy plus and economy so we had a ton of legroom! We also met a lovely flight attendant named Kyle who snuck me some extra diet Pepsi (go virgin airlines!). The flight was nine hours long but with Leigh and I watching tv shows, stretching out our legs, and drinking ample diet Pepsi, the flight went by very quickly.

When we all arrived in England it was time for goodbyes amongst the students. It was pretty hard but, hey, we have facebook! A few of us were staying in England, either for the night or longer, so we had to go through customs. In line we got to see Bill Murray! Talk about culture shock! I then ran to the coach for the three hour ride to my cousin Amy's flat in Cambridge. I walked from the coach stop to the flat in about an hour. Amy and her family are wonderful! She and her husband, Pete, recently had twins: Isabelle and Peter. They are all smiles! In the last couple of days I have walked around city center and toured some of the colleges with Cameron, a friend of Amy and Pete's. We also all went and saw the last Harry Potter! Everything here is gorgeous. It still blows my mind that some of the architecture is hundreds of years old. I'm certainly experiencing a little culture shock, but I'm loving it! It is so strange to be surrounded by so many people with white skin. Bright lights and pavement are everywhere and there are so many accents! It is strange to walk through crowds and not be with my fellow students from Kenya. I have enjoyed being here and I think it has really helped me with culture shock. I leave for the States in two days! Seeing more of my family and friends will be wonderful!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy the last of your trip! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you made it to Amy and her lovely family. We have enjoyed our 2 visits with her there in Cambridge, especially meeting her and Pete's wonderful twins. Looking forward to seeing you when you return to Oregon.

    ReplyDelete