Sunday, August 7, 2011

This Is Africa

This is my last day in Africa. I can't believe it. Everyone was an emotional wreck yesterday, including myself! We held a goat roast for the staff and watched a video that Molly and some other students worked on as an attempt to summarize our adventures here. The video was amazing (I will post the youtube link soon) but I still can't explain or express what this safari (journey) has meant to me. I know I need to come back. I am leaving too much of myself here to never return. We talked a lot about reverse culture shock yesterday and that got me thinking of all the the things I will miss about this place- and all the things I am looking forward to in the States! I will miss taking a shower and seeing Mt. Killimanjaro. I will not miss taking cold showers! I will miss my banda, my bandamates, and my mosquito net. I will not miss checking for deadly snakes under the bed. I will miss standing on the seats of the land rovers watching giraffes. I will not miss the fake dust tans I received from doing so! I will miss the local staff, the SAM staff, and my peers. I will miss the friendly people, the roadside stands, the baboons in the backyard, bushbabies, chipatis for lunch, market days, and so much more.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sensing a post-graduation safari trip is needed :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That seemed to go really quickly! Sounds like you had an amazing time. I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete